Engine Polygraph- Engine Failure Mode Analysis Tool
Predictive Fleet Technologies, Inc. developed a unique technology to better see failure modes inside the IC engine while it is running. Because the data going thru the Engine Polygraph is coming in at such high speed, It is very hard for a human being to see or analyze all the information contained in the data. Important high frequency pressure data produced by the engine, unavailable to technicians until now, clearly demonstrates many engine failure modes.
Here's how it works: One attaches high frequency, piezoelectric pressure pulse sensors to the exhaust pipe of a vehicle and the crankcase (dipstick tube or fitted oil cap) to capture simultaneous exhaust and crankcase pulses via a PicoScope connected to a laptop. The engine, being at operating temperature, is then held briefly at a steady value within a range of 1000 to 2000 rpm. The data is captured by the Engine Polygraph. The captured data is then sent to the Engine Angel software via WiFi for interpretation. In less than a minute the Engine Angel software sends back a report in pdf form.
- Engine Exhaust Pressure Sensor: Attach high frequency pressure sensor (40,000HZ) inside the exit of the exhaust pipe. This high frequency, low pressure waveform signal is sent through a scope and displayed as a pdf file. This data, when interpreted, can confirm upper engine problems, such as:
- Leaking Intake or Exhaust Valves. For example, poorly seated valves produce high frequency waves that are detected in the exhaust.
- Broken Valve Springs
- Ruptured Head Gaskets
- Worn or pitted camshafts
- Misfires with and without fuel
- Carbon buildup affecting airflow through the manifolds - Volumetric Efficiency
- Engine Oil Dip Stick Pressure Sensor: Attach high frequency pressure sensor (40,000HZ) inside the inlet of the dip-stick tube. This high frequency, low pressure waveform signal is sent through a scope and displayed as a pdf file. This data, when interpreted, can confirm lower engine problems, such as:
- Excessive Blow-By
- PCV valve obstruction
- Cylinder wall lubrication issues
- Ring and piston problems
These two sensors provide 'signature' pressure curves from the internal combustion engines that are used to determine the integrity of the physical condition of your engine and helps you diagnose mechanical problems. The report that is generated is especially useful in diagnosing an engine with an observed problem, whether or not the engine has triggered an OBD code.
In a ‘perfect’ engine, each cylinder produces the same pressure variation in the exhaust and into the crankcase. By analyzing the variation between cylinders in terms of pressure waves measured, a score is assigned to the upper engine (primarily exhaust) and another score to the lower engine (primarily crankcase). The computer program that translates the data into a simple, easily read report is called 'Engine Angel'.
The Engine Polygraph takes full meaning when an Assessment report is generated before an engine ‘repair’ procedure is done. Sometimes a cleaning treatment for carbon buildup is needed. Other times, a mechanical tear-down and repair procedure is needed. (Typically, the report was very helpful in the diagnosis.) Then, after the procedure is completed, another Assessment report can show the change of engine integrity–
was the procedure effective at solving the problem, or not? In this way, the ‘truth’ of the diagnosis AND the fix can be documented!
- Buying a Used Engine or Vehicle: Think about how much money it costs to rebuild a heavy truck motor or a big diesel generator motor. This tool could save you from buying an engine that will have a catastrophic failure in the near future.
- Selling a Used Engine or Vehicle: As a seller, you can prove to your buyer the condition of the engine you are selling is in. This increases your reputation as a high quality seller.
- Fleet Owner Cost Reduction: Track the integrity of each engine in each car or truck easily. Predict potential costly failures and do the repair before engine failure occurs.
- Repair Shops: Stops the guessing behind not knowing what the real internal engine problem is. Allows you to repair the actual problem the first time, reducing expensive rework.
- Numeric score to indicate problem severity
- Quickly isolate mechanical problems from electrical problems.
- Confirm proper operation upon completion of a repair/rebuild.
- Rapid compression test (relative compression)
PolyGraph Quick Reference Guide
Engine Polygraph Users Guide
EPReader Quick Start
EPReader Installation and User Guide
Exhaust and Crankcase Tips
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Engine Polygraph?
Terms & Conditions