In this special Workbench book, author Chris Werner uses more than 600 photos, charts, and illustrations to give simple step-by-step instructions on disassembly, cleaning, machining tips, pre-assembly fitting, and final assembly. This book gives considerations for both stock and performance rebuilds. The book guides you through both the easy and tricky procedures, showing you how to rebuild your engine and ensure it is working perfectly. The book also illustrates many of the performance components, accessories, and upgrades that have been developed for the LS-series family of engines.
As with all Workbench titles, this book details and highlights special components, tools, chemicals, and other accessories needed to get the job done right, the first time. Appendices are packed full of valuable reference information including helpful conversions and common abbreviations. You'll even find tips that will help you save money without compromising top-notch results.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Introduction: What is a Workbench® Book?
Chapter 1: The Small-Block Chevrolet Reborn: GM’s Gen III and IV V-8s
- The Small-Block Family Tree
- Generation I
- Generation II
- The Gen III Era Begins
- The Gen IV: Improvements Abound
- Determining Whether Your Engine is a Gen III/IV
- The Small-Block Lives!
Chapter 2: Engine Rebuilding: Skills, Techniques and Tools
- What is a “Rebuild?”
- Do I Need a Rebuild?
- Who Can Perform a Rebuild?
- What Tools are Needed?
- Where Can a Rebuild be Performed?
Chapter 3: Engine Disassembly
- Organization Techniques
- Step-By-Step Engine Disassembly
Chapter 4: Parts Inspection and Selection
- Parts Selection Words of Wisdom
- Engine Block
- Rotating Assembly
- Cylinder Heads
- Other Engine Parts
Chapter 5: The Machine Shop
- Selecting a Machine Shop
- Before Heading to the Machine Shop
- Block Machine Work
- Crankshaft Machine Work
- Connecting Rod Machine Work
- Piston Machine Work
- Balancing the Rotating Assembly
- Cylinder Head Machine Work
- Other Machining Processes
- Final Machine Shop Notes
Chapter 6: Component Cleaning and Preparation
- Cleaning Supplies
- Safety First!
- Final Hints
- Step-By-Step Engine Component Cleaning
Chapter 7: Pre-Assembly Procedures
- Do I Really Need to Pre-Assemble?
- Pre-Assembly Supplies
- Step-By-Step Pre-Assembly Procedures
- What If Anything Goes Wrong?
- Pre-Assembly Complete
Chapter 8: Final Assembly
- Before You Begin
- Final Assembly Supplies
- Final Notes
- Step-By-Step Final Assembly Procedures
Chapter 9: Break-In and Tuning
- Engine Reinstallation
- Final Preparation
- ECM/PCM Tuning
- General Calculations for Rotating Assembly
- Compression Ratio Calculation
- Cylinder Numbers and Firing Order
- Torque Sequences
- Torque Specifications
- Piston Ring Gap Alignment
- Timing Belt/Chain Alignment Marks
- General Engine Specifications
- Helpful Unit Conversions
- Glossary of Common Abbreviations